Friday 4 April 2014

So the journey begins

Hi there!

Im assuming if you've stumbled across my cosy little blog, it is because you are also looking at, or...... are already venturing down the path to bilingualism.  Welcome!!

I feel so fortunate to be able to pass the gift of language onto a child of mine (due to enter this crazy world in September - Read more about that here. ) and I'm so excited to share our adventures of this journey with you all!

I have always loved other languages and it was one of those skills I always wished I had.  I was envious of anyone who spoke a language other than English - even if it was their native language!  They were still just as amazing in my eyes.

I studied French for 6 years and was lucky enough to go to France when I was 16.  I stayed with a gorgeous and very patient non English speaking host family for 4 weeks.  I think I learnt more in those 4 weeks than I did in a year.  It certainly showed me that when you are fully emerged in a language and HAVE to speak it,  you really do absorb so much.

I had a brief stint in Dubai where I worked for Emirates Airlines.  I think for me one of the highlights was being exposed to such a huge array of languages.  Every day.
After a 6 day trip I would find myself swaying deliriously in the lift up to my apartment on the 11th floor.  However, I would enter such a blissful state listening to the Spanish, the Italian, the French and the Portuguese....just to name a few.  It meant I was basically already asleep as I stumbled into bed, where I wouldn't move for 2 days.

So when I met Rob, and learned of his Italian heritage I knew he was a winner.  Both his parents speak Italian and I feel so privileged to be able to expose my family to such a vibrant culture and beautiful language.

First challenge: Neither Rob or myself speak the language fluently.

What a great challenge that is, easy fix hey?  Lets just say I am working on it. Thats another post though, its time to go and have a nap!  The joys of pregnancy ;-)

Ciao xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment